DeGraff Memorial Hospital
445 Tremont Street
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
Cancer Rehab & Recovery
At Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, we are committed to helping you navigate cancer with support and survivorship services that are tailored to your needs during this difficult time.
Regardless of whether you just received a cancer diagnosis or are in remission, we can assist all along the way. Our coordinator will assist you in identifying what your specific needs are. Our rehabilitation staff has been trained in the latest oncology rehab care and implementing research based protocols that have been proven to help cancer survivors heal and function at an optimal level so that you can get on with your life.
Survivor Steps offers important physical and emotional support to survivors so they can recover more quickly and more completely than they would otherwise.
Classes are offered Mondays 1-3 p.m. Click below for a list of complete list of classes.
What we offer
- Patient coordinator/navigator to assist you with scheduling of appointments, community resources, follow up and other needs.
- Pre-surgical education class to help you navigate a cancer diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship.
- Pre-habilitation needs identification. An evaluation may be completed prior to surgical treatments to better prepare you for recovery.
- Oncology rehab trained Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Speech Language Pathologists who will assess, identify and plan for any rehab needs before and/or after treatment.
- Preauthorization with your insurance company for any rehabilitation services needed.
- Access to community resources and support.
- Lymphedema Therapy
We are committed to helping you reach optimal recovery
A cancer diagnosis can be devastating, and so can life-saving treatments. Chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery can cause serious side effects that interfere with daily function and well-being. Survivors are commonly plagued with symptoms such as:
- Memory loss
- Anxiety and depression.
Is it covered by health insurance?
All of our services are reimbursable by most health insurance providers including Medicare. Having access to world-class follow up care, without added medical costs allows survivors to regain their health and get their lives back on track.
Who can we help?
Our program is open to everyone no matter the prognosis, cancer stage or phase of recovery. When evaluating an individual, in addition to focusing on his or her health conditions and symptoms, we take into consideration: diet, sleep issues, existing pain, endurance, strength, exercise habits and emotional outlook. All of these factors have an important effect on physical healing from diagnosis into remission. Any survivor can benefit.
- Those newly diagnosed or beginning treatment can improve their strength and endurance to prevent future medical problems.
- Those finished with treatment or survivors living with cancer as a chronic disease may come to us for help managing treatment-related conditions.
- Individuals who are cured or in remission experiencing late effects or unresolved issues from treatment long-ago may enroll with the goal of boosting their immune systems so that they can heal as well as possible.
Who makes up the Survivor Steps team?
Our rehabilitation care, based on conventional medicine, is offered to patients by a knowledgeable and sensitive medical staff, specially trained to treat survivors of all forms of cancer. They are medical experts at the top of their fields and comprise a variety of disciplines:
- physical therapists
- occupational therapists
- speech and swallowing therapists
- certified lymphedema therapists
- registered dieticians and nutritionists
- registered nurse coordinator/navigator
The healthcare “team” creates a personalized rehabilitation plan, with the goals of increasing strength and energy, alleviating pain, improving physical functioning, achieving emotional balance and boosting the immune system. Each team member provides his or her expert medical guidance, training, encouragement and support, for the duration of the program.
We fully believe feeling well and being able to resume normal day-to-day activities is essential to enjoying a good quality of life for survivors and their families.