Buffalo General Medical Center
A Building, 16th Floor
100 High Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital
2nd Floor, Southeast Wing
1540 Maple Road
Williamsville, NY 14221
Orthopedic Joint Ventures Program
Start exercises one week before surgery.
- Repeat each exercise 10 times, 2-3 times per day.
- Perform the following exercises slowly, as outlined.
- Complete exercises while lying down or reclined with legs straight.
- Perform on both legs.
- Remember to take slow, deep breaths as you do each exercise. This will help circulation and provide oxygen to your muscle tissue.
1. Ankle Pumps/Circles:
- Slowly pull ankle up, hold five seconds.
- Slowly push ankle down, hold five seconds.
- Slowly turn your ankles in a circular motion, reverse direction.
2. Gluteal Sets:
- Slowly squeeze your buttocks together.
- Hold for five seconds and relax.
3. Quad Sets:
- With legs straight, slowly push the back of the knee down into the bed, tightening the thigh muscle.
- Hold for five seconds.
4. Long Arc Quads:
- While seated in a firm, straight back chair, straighten your leg and try to hold it for 10 seconds.
- Slowly bend to return.