Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo
Monitoring Unit - 7th floor, Tanner Building
219 Bryant Street
Buffalo, NY 14222
- (716) 878-7080
- (716) 878-1170
- (716) 878-1393 Fax
- Map & Directions
The Women & Children's Hospital Epilepsy Center is recognized by the NAEC as a Level 4 epilepsy center. Level 4 epilepsy centers have the professional expertise and facilities to provide the highest-level medical and surgical evaluation and treatment for patients with complex epilepsy.
The Comprehensive Epilepsy Program provides advanced evaluation and care for infants, children and adults with epilepsy. Our dedicated and highly-specialized team is comprised of adult and pediatric epileptologists, neurosurgeons, experts in advanced imaging, psychiatrists, nurses and nurse practitioners, neuro-psychologists, skilled EEG technicians, and a specialized dietician. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for people with epilepsy through compassionate care and sophisticated medical treatment. We accomplish this through comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis, individualized treatment plans, patient and family education, research initiatives and follow-up care.
Our comprehensive epilepsy program offers a full-range of advanced care and services to control seizures and improve the quality of life for people with epilepsy. From initial evaluation to follow-up care, we promote the overall well-being of our patients and help them understand and live well with their condition. Our highly-trained and specialized team offers:
- Thorough evaluation of seizure type and type of epilepsy for children and adults
- 24-hour video-EEG monitoring in our state-of-the-art Regional Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU).
- EEG Technicians and specialized nurses monitor the video-EEG studies continuously throughout the patient’s stay. When needed, special EEG electrodes termed sphenoidal electrodes are placed.
- Individualized treatment plans and follow-up care: based on the results of the EMU, patients may be further referred for neuro-psychological evaluations, sophisticated radiological & nuclear imaging (e.g. high resolution MRI, PET and Ictal SPECT)
- Epilepsy surgery, including implantation of subdural grid or stereotactic depth EEG electrodes to map seizure focus and motor and language functions
- When epilepsy surgery is not an option, we further evaluate for other treatment options such as the ketogenic diet, vagal nerve stimulator, or enrollment to clinical trials using novel anti-epileptic drugs