Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo
9th Floor, Tanner Building
219 Bryant Street
Buffalo, NY 14222
- (716) 878-7409
- (716) 878-1562 or 888-3919 (perioperative planner) Fax
- Map & Directions
Ambulatory Surgery Center
More Important Guidelines
It is absolutely necessary to adhere to the following diet guidelines. We recommend that no solid food be given on the day of surgery because the procedure may start earlier than scheduled.
The following food and drinks should not be consumed any later than the time indicated:
|Clear fluid (non-pulp)||2 hours|
|Breast milk||4 hours|
|Non-human milk (cow’s milk)||6 hours|
|Infant formula||6 hours|
|Solid food||nothing after midnight|
These guidelines do not apply to laboring women.
The policy pertaining to solid food is applicable to any quantity of solid food.
Clear liquids include: water, sugar water, coffee or tea (black), ginger ale, Pedialyte®, 7-Up®, Gatorade®, pulp-free apple and pulp-free grape juice.
Gum chewing is considered the same as clear liquids as far as NPO guidelines are concerned, however, if swallowed it becomes solid food.
Breast milk, milk, non-human milk, apple cider and orange juice are not clear liquids.
Remember! Patients who have not followed the recommendations outlined above are likely to experience postponements or cancellations.
- Arrive at the hospital at the time you have been told by your doctor’s office.
- It is important to notify your doctor if your child is sick during the last seven days before surgery.
- Visitors are limited to two healthy adults per patient.
- Plan to spend the day at the hospital. If you have children at home or other responsibilities, please make the necessary arrangements.
- Follow the diet guidelines exactly.
If you have any questions or concerns, call your surgeon.
Thank you for choosing the Same-Day Surgery Unit at Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo.