Three Kaleida Health Clinics Receive NYS Patient-Centered Medical Home Recognition
|Released: 8/18/2022 10:51:00 AM|
Hertel-Elmwood Medicine Center, Niagara Street Pediatrics and Broadway Pediatrics have each received New York State Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) recognition from The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
PCMH is a care delivery model where the primary care team, along with the patient (and family, when appropriate), are responsible for managing the full spectrum of healthcare needs. The team also coordinates with clinicians in other settings when care cannot be provided in the primary care setting.
NCQA, the creator of the nation’s leading PCMH program, works with clinicians and practices to make sure they follow industry-leading best practices and guidelines, so patients get the best care at the right time. Practices that earn NCQA recognition show they are committed to providing high-quality, patient-centered care.
NCQA collaborated with the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) to develop a customized PCMH recognition program requiring a practice to meet 40 core criteria and 12 NYS-required criteria (with elective credit). NYS PCMH supports the state’s initiative to improve primary care through the medical home model. It also promotes the Triple Aim: better health, lower costs and better patient experience. NYS PCMH recognition helps practices put the structure, systems and processes in place to be effective medical homes by:
- Improving patient-centered access and patient experience
- Performing comprehensive health assessments to identify patient needs
- Delivering better preventive care such as immunizations and cancer screenings
- Prioritizing comprehensive care management to keep chronic conditions under control
- Coordinating with other clinicians involved in patient care and close referral loops to improve continuity and avoid gaps
- Identifying patients who require recommended interventions and patients who need medication monitoring
Providers that achieve NYS PCMH recognition are eligible to receive Medicaid or Child Health Plus (CHP) incentive payments.