Gates Vascular Institute (GVI)
875 Ellicott Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
- (716) 748-2000
- Map & Directions
Select your preferred time and wait at home!
DeGraff ER Check-In.Powered by InQuicker
Stroke Care Center at the Gates Vascular Institute
Get to the Best Stroke Center. Period.
The multidisciplinary team of neurologists, endovascular neurosurgeons and dedicated specialized staff at Buffalo General Medical Center /Gates Vascular Institute (BGMCGV), diagnose, treat and manage patients with neurological and endovascular disorders and diseases and all cerebrovascular conditions. Through our affiliation with University at Buffalo Neurosurgery (UBNS) and the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, our teams selected to be a part of national clinical trials, and often times the principal investigator, in developing new methods for treating and preventing strokes.
In fact, BGMC/GVI treats more strokes than any other hospital in New York State and more than double of any hospital in Western New York. BGMC/GVI delivers stroke care that brings patients the best chance of recovery, from a designated emergency pod for stroke to a dedicated team of neurologists and neuroendovascular surgeons offering full treatment options utilizing the latest technology .
If you or someone you know is experiencing stroke symptoms call 9-1-1 and get to Gates.
Signs and Symptoms of Stroke
- Sudden weakness, paralysis or numbness
of the face, arm and leg on one or both
sides of the body.
- Sudden loss of speech or difficulty speaking or understanding speech.
- Sudden dimness or loss of vision, particularly in only one eye.
- Sudden unexplained dizziness (especially when associated with other neurologic symptoms), unsteadiness or sudden falls.
- Sudden severe headache and/or loss of consciousness.
If any of these symptoms are present, CALL 9-1-1 and seek medical help immediately.
The Gates Vascular Institute has Disease-Specific Care Certification for Acute Stroke, and is the only Stroke program in the region recognized by all three of the following organizations:
- Designated Primary Stroke Center by the New York State Department of Health since 2005
- American Stroke Association, Get with the Guidelines-Stroke, Gold Plus Achievement Award, Target Stroke Honor Roll, 2017
- Disease-Specific Care Certification for Acute Stroke from Det Norske Veritas Healthcare, Inc (DNV)
- The Gates Vascular Institute is the only facility in Western New York to achieve this certification.
- Less than 1 percent of the 5,700 hospitals in the United States have this certification.
- The DNV evaluated compliance with the DNV’s state-of-the-art national standards and performance measurement expectations for the management of chronic care illnesses
- Physician and staff skill in the diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of stroke patients was a factor in designation