Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital
1540 Maple Road
Williamsville, NY 14221
- (716) 568-6633
- Map & Directions
Select your preferred time and wait at home!
DeGraff ER Check-In.
Suburban ER Check-In.Powered by InQuicker
Anesthesia is medication that keeps patients comfortable during procedures and is administered by a highly trained specialist - either an anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist.
Anesthesiologists are responsible for the planning, coordination and administration of anesthesia during surgical procedures. They are also in charge of maintaining patient life support.
Types of anesthesia include:
- General Anesthesia
- Patients are totally asleep and unaware of their surroundings. The anesthesia can be administered by an intravenous injection through a thin tube in the arm or inhaled as a gas.
- Regional Anesthesia
- Regional anesthesia numbs certain areas of the body so that pain is not felt. Patients may also receive additional medications for relaxation.
- Monitored Sedation
- Monitored sedation keeps patients relaxed and comfortable.& Patients may remain awake and aware throughout the procedure or may be drowsy or in a light sleep.
- Local Anesthesia
- Local anesthesia affects only the area involved in the procedure. It may be used in combination with sedation.
- Epidural Anesthesia
- Primarily used for lower pelvic surgery and can be used with a general anesthesia. An epidural is commonly used for labor and delivery. Occasionally, epidurals are used for post-operative pain management.
- Spinal Anesthesia
- This anesthesia paralyzes the lower body beginning at the hip and is frequently used in hip replacement surgery.
Anesthesiology services at Millard Fillmore Suburban are provided by Maple Gate Anesthesiologists, PC. Their dedication to the highest standards of excellence in patient care is evidenced in their membership in medical associations such as the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists.
Anesthesiologists are on duty at Suburban 24 hours a day, seven days a week.