- Latest Headlines
- John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital Construction Cam
- Buffalo Philharmonic presents $15,000 to the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital
- Expectant Moms and their Babies to Benefit from New March of Dimes Project
- Charity Crafters Donate Hand-Knit Items for Newborns in Need
- Progress Continues on New Children’s Hospital Project
- View All Headlines
- Kaleida in the News
- Media Advisories
- Press Releases
- Facts at a Glance
- KYI Newsletter
726 Exchange Street
Buffalo, NY 14210
Visiting Nursing Association Announces Immunization Campaign
The campaign is aimed at protecting the Western New York community from influenza and pneumonia. The VNA’s professional nurses will be administering the vaccines at over 600 clinics throughout Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany and Genesee counties.
Key facts about the 2013 immunization campaign:
- Seasonal flu vaccine offered to ages nine and over.
- A parent or guardian must accompany anyone under age 18.
- FluMist nasal spray also available for ages 9-49 who are healthy and not pregnant.
- Preservative free vaccine available for anyone who is pregnant.
- Pneumonia vaccine available for adults who meet The Center for Disease Control criteria.
The locations of the sites are listed on the VNA’s website www.vnawny.org/flu and on the VNA phone hotline at (716) 630-8330.
The fee for the flu immunization is $30, FluMist is $45 and the pneumonia shot is $80. Insurances accepted include Medicare Part B, Independent Health, Univera and Blue Cross Blue Shield. Individuals are responsible to the VNA for any charges not covered by insurance.
Though preventable, influenza causes an average of 36,000 deaths in the United States each year. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recognizes the best way to prevent contracting influenza is with an annual flu shot.
In 2012, the VNA immunization campaign administered about 25,000 flu shots at more than 600 senior centers, local businesses, government offices and other convenient locations across Western New York.
Anyone who would like information on hosting a public clinic, or any employer who would like an on site clinic, please contact Donna Sauer, the VNA program director at (716) 630-8738. You can also email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The VNA is the largest home health agency in Western New York, serving more than 24,000 patients annually with more than 425,000 home visits. The agency is ranked among the top home health care agencies in the nation, according to data from Press Ganey and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Founded in 1885, the VNA of Western New York was the first visiting nursing organization in America. Since then, they have become one of the oldest charities in the nation and remain the largest home health agency in the Western New York region.
The VNA offers a full range of services including pediatric and adult skilled nursing and therapies, chronic disease management, home infusion therapy, mental health care, obstetrical services, telehealth, personal care, as well as personal response systems.
Key facts and figures about the VNA of Western New York:
• Over 950 employees
• 98% Patient Satisfaction
• Average Daily Census (all services) – 6,500 patients; Annual Home Visits – 425,000
• Community immunization program providing 25,000 shots/season
• 98% Referral Source Satisfaction