- Latest Headlines
- Schumer Calls for Senate to Pass the Sudden Unexpected Death Data Enhancement and Awareness Act
- Unyts Blood Drive to Help Patients Like Alexis Sonricker
- 11 Year Old Entertains Patients & Visitors With Musical Talent
- A Dog for Jack
- John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital Construction Cam
- View All Headlines
- Kaleida in the News
- Media Advisories
- Press Releases
- Facts at a Glance
- KYI Newsletter
726 Exchange Street
Buffalo, NY 14210
Optimum Physician Alliance Leadership Announced
The Optimum Physician Alliance (OPA) today announced that Thomas C. Rosenthal, MD, has been appointed as Chief Medical Executive and will serve as the leader in creating and coordinating physician support activities and clinical integration management for OPA’s network of doctors.
OPA is a physician led, evidence-based network of physicians committed to providing high-quality, efficient health care. OPA is supported by BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York and Kaleida Health, and is comprised of approximately 250 primary care doctors and 250 specialty care doctors.
“I am excited about this opportunity and believe that OPA is a unique and innovative collaboration led by my colleagues who are passionately committed to a new model of health care,” said Dr. Rosenthal, chief medical executive, OPA. “OPA’s goal is to deliver clinically integrated, lower-cost, higher-value health care for Western New Yorkers, and I am confident in our ability to accomplish this.”
Dr. Rosenthal has been a pioneer in Western New York’s delivery of health care and is a founding director of the New York State Area Health Education Center. Rosenthal is a family physician who has been listed by Town and Country as one of the top 100 primary care doctors in the United States. Rosenthal received his MD from the State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine, and his Bachelors of Art in Chemistry from the State University of New York College at Geneseo.
OPA also announced today the appointment of John J. Bodkin, MD, new chairman of the Physician Leadership Board (PLB), the group of physicians that provides oversight to OPA. Dr. Bodkin is a family physician with Highgate Medical Group, PC. and is a current member of the University at Buffalo Dean’s Advisory Council, a member of the Buffalo Physician Editorial Board, and an emeritus member of the Board of Directors of the University at Buffalo Medical Alumni Association.
“Through the guidance of the Physician Leadership Board and work of OPA, we can reach our goal of improving clinical integration in order to cultivate a higher quality of care provided to patients,” said Dr. Bodkin, Chair, PLB. “With our Board’s expertise and Dr. Rosenthal’s in-depth experience, we will improve health outcomes and create more opportunities to lower costs for Western New Yorkers.”
The PLB has also chosen a new vice chair, Frank Mezzradri, MD, founder of Quaker Medical Associates, and added the following board members:
- Martin C. Mahoney, MD, PhD, FAAFP, Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine and Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Nicholas J. Aquino, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, StateUniversity of New York at Buffalo.
- Christopher F. Mutty, MD, Orthopaedic surgeon and Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Joseph V. Mure, MD, Vice Chair of Clinical Medicine, UB Family Medicine, Inc.
- Gary Brice, PhD, Consumer Representative, Physician Leadership Board. Brice is presently director, corporate training, development and employee engagement for Kaleida Health.
Dan Weinrieb and Julie Kozlowski will join the OPA staff as Manager of Clinical Integration and Physician Engagement and Manager of Clinical Care Coordination respectively. Weinrieb will be responsible for leading OPA’s strategic initiatives to improve clinical quality outcomes through physician partnerships, alignment with health management initiatives, and leveraging health information technology. Weinrieb is a native of Buffalo. Kozlowski, an RN who has spent nearly 12 years at BlueCross BlueShield, will lead the clinical management staff for OPA’s network of doctors, in partnership with Kaleida Health. Kozlowski will provide clinical knowledge and skills to ensure consistent delivery of care coordination activities supporting the clinical and operational goals of the OPA network.