- Latest Headlines
- ‘Tis the Season … to Shop for a Good Cause!
- Imaging Services a National Case Study for Maintaining CT Image Quality While Lowering Radiation Dose
- Download the Early Childhood Direction Center Winter 2013 Newsletter
- VNA of WNY Ranked Among Top Five Percent Nationally
- Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital Respiratory Team Receives Elite Distinction
- View All Headlines
- Kaleida in the News
- Media Advisories
- Press Releases
- Facts at a Glance
- KYI Newsletter
726 Exchange Street
Buffalo, NY 14210
Media Tour of the Mock-up Rooms for the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital
During a media tour, physician and administrative leaders presented the seven newly constructed mock-up rooms and a project update about construction plans for the new John R. Oishei Children's Hospital on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.
To see video of this tour of the mock-up rooms, click here:
The tour and update were provided by Teresa Quattrin, MD, Pediatrician-in-Chief at Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo and UB Distinguished Professor, A. Conger Goodyear Professor and Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at the State University of New York at Buffalo, and Allegra Jaros, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer at Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo.
The mock-up rooms include the current design for those in The Children's Guild Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, an urgent care room in the The Sal H. Alfiero Family Emergency Care Center, pediatric intensive care unit, pre/post operative, labor & delivery, medical/surgical/mother-baby and operating rooms in the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital.
These rooms are rough mock-ups with walls that include some equipment and wall mountings as designed to date by physicians, nurses, other clinical and support staff, family members of patients and others involved in 27 user groups. The user groups meet in these mock-ups to provide their input into the design of the rooms to date and use them to help develop new processes to deliver care within them.
The opportunity to leave written feedback is available within these mock rooms. Feedback will be considered for incorporation into the design of the actual rooms for the new hospital and future versions of mock-up rooms, which will be available for training and process development throughout 2013.
An overview of progress on plans for the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital was also provided and included the following updates:
- Members of the Physician Strategic Planning Committee that leads planning for the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital and 27 user groups comprised of nursing and other clinical staff, administrative leads and other support staff, families of patients and others have signed-off in agreement with the interior design and floor plans for the new hospital.
This agreement on interior design plans marks the completion of the design and development phase of planning. In 2013, the physician committee and user groups will focus on developing new process flows for patient care and all other hospital operations for the new John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital and ambulatory care center.
- As of March 8, 2013, Ellicott Street is closed between High and Goodrich Streets as preliminary construction begins on a pedestrian service tunnel to connect the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital to the Buffalo General Medical Center.
- Crews have begun work on site remediation for the Conventus building being constructed by Ciminelli Real Estate. Conventus will house the ambulatory care center.
- Planning for the re-use of the existing hospital campus continued with three recent meetings open to nearby residents, businesses and other organizations to gather input on how best to proceed with the goal of identifying a productive and compatible use for the site following the hospital move to the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.
A community advisory committee comprised of nearby residents, business owners and others will be established to provide input on the process for identifying a re-use of the site to be determined by the Kaleida Health Board of Directors.
A live webcam image of the construction site for the new John R. Oishei Children's Hospital and Conventus, which will be connected by bridges on the second and third floors to the new hospital, is now accessible online at www.wchob.org/oishei, along with more information about plans for the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital.
The vision for the John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital is to be recognized as the most innovative, highest quality, highest value provider and partner, and the regional referral center for women and children’s care for Kaleida Health in Western New York and beyond.
Related News Coverage:
Additional information available: http://www.wchob.org/bnmc