- Latest Headlines
- ‘Tis the Season … to Shop for a Good Cause!
- Imaging Services a National Case Study for Maintaining CT Image Quality While Lowering Radiation Dose
- Download the Early Childhood Direction Center Winter 2013 Newsletter
- VNA of WNY Ranked Among Top Five Percent Nationally
- Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital Respiratory Team Receives Elite Distinction
- View All Headlines
- Kaleida in the News
- Media Advisories
- Press Releases
- Facts at a Glance
- KYI Newsletter
726 Exchange Street
Buffalo, NY 14210
Visiting Nursing Association of WNY: Get Your Flu Shot!
With flu cases on the rise across New YorkState, the Visiting Nursing Association (VNA) of Western New York is reminding the public to get vaccinated with a flu shot.
The VNA is the largest provider and the only local not-for-profit agency providing flu and pneumonia vaccinations in Western New York.
Its annual immunization campaign is aimed at protecting the Western New York community from influenza and pneumonia. The VNA’s professional nurses administer the vaccine at over 600 clinics throughout Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany and Genesee counties.
VNA scheduled flu clinics include:
Wednesday 1/16 2pm-6pm Cy's Pharmacy, 2317 Bowen Rd, Elma
Friday 1/18 2pm-6pm Boulevard Mall in the Sears Court
Key facts about the VNA’s annual immunization campaign:
Seasonal flu vaccine offered to ages nine and over.
- A parent or guardian must accompany anyone under age 18.
- FluMist nasal spray also available for ages 9-49 who are healthy and not pregnant.
- Preservative free vaccine available for anyone who is pregnant.
- Pneumonia vaccine available for adults who meet The Center for Disease Control criteria.
The fee for the flu immunization is $30, FluMist is $40 and the pneumonia shot is $60. Most major insurance plans accepted. Individuals are responsible to the VNA for any charges not covered by insurance.
The locations of the sites are listed on the VNA’s website www.vnawny.org/flu and on the VNA phone hotline at (716) 630-8330.
Though preventable, influenza causes an average of 36,000 deaths in the United States each year. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recognizes the best way to prevent contracting influenza is with an annual flu shot.
In 2011, the VNA immunization campaign administered about 25,000 flu shots at more than 600 senior centers, local businesses, government offices and other convenient locations across Western New York.
Anyone who would like information on hosting a public clinic or any employer who would like an on site clinic can contact Donna Sauer, the VNA program director at (716) 630-8738.
Founded in 1885, the VNA of Western New York was the first visiting nursing organization in America. Since then, they have become one of the oldest charities in the nation and remain the largest home health agency in the Western New York region.
The VNA provides services to residents in all eight Western New York counties including Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany and Wyoming.
The VNA offers a full range of services including pediatric and adult skilled nursing and therapies, chronic disease management, home infusion therapy, mental health care, obstetrical services, telehealth, personal care, as well as personal response systems.
Key facts and figures about the VNA of Western New York:
• Over 900 employees
• 99% Patient Satisfaction
• Average Daily Census (all services) – 6,500 patients; Annual Home Visits – 385,000
• Community immunization program providing 25,000 shots/season
• 98% Referral Source Satisfaction