Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo
219 Bryant Street
Buffalo, NY 14222
- (716) 878-7681
- (716) 878-7440 Fax
- Map & Directions
Child Life Department
*The Child Life Department is not accepting interns for fall 2017 due to the hospital's scheduled move to the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus*
Dear Intern Applicant,
Thank you for expressing interest in the internship program of the Child Life Department at Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo (soon to be Oishei Children's Hospital), a Kaleida Health facility. The new facility will feature a 185 bed, free-standing Children’s Hospital. There are two inpatient medical floors, Oncology Unit, Same Day Surgery, Epilepsy Study, PICU, NICU, multiple clinic areas and a busy ED with nine observation beds.
It is our goal to provide you with a comprehensive clinical experience in our Child Life program. We offer students a fourteen week internship (525 hours) to prepare you for working in the field as a Child Life Specialist. Prior to scheduling an interview, we ask that prospective students review the intern requirements. We accept the Association of Child Life Professional’s common application. I know it is expensive to send official transcripts so unofficial will be accepted. You will be required to provide official transcripts if you are accepted as an intern. Any additional written information regarding your academic program is appreciated. Please indicate the semester you are intending to fulfill your internship.
Our internship program offers the student free parking and one free meal. Health requirements will be sent under separate cover at a later time. We do employ certified Child Life Specialists who are available to oversee your internship. We can also help you identify appropriate areas of the city to find an apartment if desired. In the past, we have been able to secure housing at area colleges (summer interns). Please indicate if this is a need for you. There would be a fee to the housing institution.
Once applications are received, chosen candidates will be called to schedule an interview. You can contact us at (716) 878-1870 if you have any questions regarding our internship program. Please find the intern requirements below. Our internship program follows the ACLP modules for the 14 week experience. Beginning December 2017, please mail your application to Oishei Children’s Hospital, 818 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203. We are looking forward to receiving your information soon.
Dena Sterns, CCLS
Child Life Intern Coordinator
CLC Common Internship Applications are available online by clicking on this link. Please mail your application once completed to the Child Life Department, Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo, 219 Bryant St, Buffalo, NY 14222. Beginning December 2017, please mail your application to Oishei Children’s Hospital, 818 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203.
- Submission of the Association for Child Life Professionals common application including Eligibility Assessment
- Resume, college transcripts and at least 3 references
- Verification of volunteer work within a health care setting and/or program designed for special needs populations ( at least 100 hours)
- Relevant course work as approved by ACLP to become certified including a course taught by a CCLS
- Previous experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- Health clearance according to NYS requirements
- Professional Liability Insurance (if not affiliated with a university program)
- Three areas for personal growth during the internship submitted with your application
- Minimum 37.5 hours per week for a total of 14 weeks
- General Kaleida orientation/Child Life Department orientation
- Journals turned in weekly for review
- One project to be discussed with your supervisor
- Weekly evaluative meetings between intern and supervisor
- Must own required texts: Child Life in Hospitals; The Handbook of Child Life