Orthopedic Joint Ventures Program
Start exercises one week before surgery.
- Repeat each exercise 10 times, 2-3 times per day.
- Perform the following exercises slowly, as outlined.
- Complete exercises while lying down or reclined with legs straight.
- Perform on both legs.
- Remember to take slow, deep breaths as you do each exercise. This will help circulation and provide oxygen to your muscle tissue.
1. Ankle Pumps/Circles:
- Slowly pull ankle up, hold five seconds.
- Slowly push ankle down, hold five seconds.
- Slowly turn your ankles in a circular motion, reverse direction.
2. Gluteal Sets:
- Slowly squeeze your buttocks together.
- Hold for five seconds and relax.
3. Quad Sets:
- With legs straight, slowly push the back of the knee down into the bed, tightening the thigh muscle.
- Hold for five seconds.
4. Long Arc Quads:
- While seated in a firm, straight back chair, straighten your leg and try to hold it for 10 seconds.
- Slowly bend to return.