DeGraff Memorial Hospital
4th Floor West
445 Tremont Street
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
- Map & Directions
Acute Care For The Elderly Unit (ACE)
The Acute Care for the Elderly (ACE) Unit is a specially designed hospital floor for older adults that have complex medical conditions and require the expertise of a team that is skilled in caring for their individualized health care needs.
The ACE Unit Interdisciplinary Team
- Attending Physicians
- Geriatrician (a medical doctor who specializes in the care of the elderly)
- Nurses and Nurse Assistants
- Occupational, Physical and Speech Therapists
- Patient Care Coordinator
- Discharge Planners
- Recreation Personnel
This team works closely to establish a care path that focuses on returning the individual to a condition where their health and mobility will remain optimal in the community and reduce the chance of readmission.
"The primary goals of geriatric care are to maximize quality of life and functional ability - along with treating the primary medical problem. This is what we try to accomplish for all our ACE patients. We want them to go home as happy and healthy as possible." ~Robert Stall MD, Geriatrician, DeGraff ACE Unit Consultant.
Added Value Services
- Assessment and treatment of delirium
- Assessment and treatment of pain
- Caregiver support
- Clarification of advanced directives
- Clarification and recommended health screening/immunizations
- Clear discharge instructions for post hospital care
- Coordinated referrals for post hospital care
- Focus on Care Transitions pillars - medications, red flags, personal health record, physician follow up
- Focus on common potential hospital complications in elderly, including: falls; skin breakdown; deconditioning; catheter-associated infections (UTI); antibiotic -associated infections (C-diff)
- Comprehensive medication review for possible adverse drug effects, therapeutic benefit and need for preventive supplements
- Screening for dementia
- Screening for depression
- Screening for falls risk
- Nutritional consultation
DeGraff Memorial Hospital is proud to provide a private room for all acute care patients at no extra cost. This privacy extends opportunity to family and caregivers to take an active role in on sight discharge planning and gives patients additional comfort during their stay.