Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo
219 Bryant Street
Buffalo, NY 14222
- (716) 878-7681
- (716) 878-7440 Fax
- Map & Directions
Child Life Department
*We will not be offering a summer 2014 internship*
Dear Intern Applicant,
Thank you for expressing interest in the internship program of the Child Life Department at the Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo of Kaleida Health. Our hospital is an 180-bed, free-standing children’s hospital. There are three inpatient medical floors, one inpatient surgical floor, Same Day Surgery, Epilepsy Study, PICU, NICU, multiple clinic areas and a busy Emergency Department.
It is our goal to provide you with a comprehensive clinical experience in our Child Life program. We offer students a 14-week internship (525 hours) to prepare you for working in the field as a Child Life Specialist. Prior to scheduling an interview, we ask that prospective students review all enclosed materials and complete the attached internship application and send a transcript. Any additional written information regarding your academic program is appreciated. Please indicate the semester you are intending to fulfill your internship.
Our internship program offers the student free parking and one free meal. Health requirements will be sent under separate cover at a later time. We do employ certified Child Life Specialists who are available to oversee your internship. We can also help you identify appropriate areas of the city to find an apartment if desired. In the past, we have been able to secure housing at area colleges (summer interns). Please indicate if this is a need for you. There would be a fee to the housing institution.
Once we receive your application, we will call to schedule an interview. You can contact us at (716) 878-7681 if you have any questions regarding our internship program. Enclosed you will find an application, intern requirements, and a tentative curriculum for the 14-week experience. This curriculum was designed to simplify weekly journal entries and has been updated to reflect requirements for the Child Life certification exam. Looking forward to receiving your information soon.
Dena Sterns, CCLS
Child Life Intern Coordinator
CLC Common Internship Applications are available online by clicking on this link. Please mail your application once completed to the Child Life Department, Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo, 219 Bryant St, Buffalo, NY 14222.
- Child Life Council common application submitted including resume, college transcripts and at least 3 references
- Verification of volunteer work within a health care setting and/or program designed for special needs populations ( at least 75 hours)
- Relevant course work as approved by Child Life Council to become certified including a course taught by a CCLS
- Previous experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- Health clearance according to NYS requirements
- Professional Liability Insurance (if not affiliated with a university program)
- Three areas for personal growth during the internship
- Minimum 37.5 hours per week for a total of 14 weeks
- General Kaleida orientation/Child Life Department orientation
- Journals turned in weekly for review
- One project to be discussed with your supervisor
- Weekly evaluative meetings between intern and supervisor
- Be able to discuss assigned readings
- Must own required texts: Child Life in Hospitals; The Handbook of Child Life